Thursday, October 15, 2009

Best Pecan Pie

Pecan pie is the hardest thing for me to bake. The first time I tried, I overcooked it and it was tough and chewy. Then, I found this recipe in Favorite Namebrand Recipe Book, by the editors of Consumer Guide, 1981. It's original name is "The Devil's Tempting Pecan Pie", and it's found on page 275. It's been my favorite every since.

One 9-inch Single-crust pie shell
4 eggs
1 lb Light Brown Sugar
1/4 c water
1/4 c butter or margarine, softened
1 t vanilla extract
pecan halves

Beat eggs in a small mixing bowl, until frothy; set aside. Combine sugar and water in a 2 quart thick saucepan. Place over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a full boil and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually stir hot syrup into eggs. Blend butter and extract into mixture. Pour filling into pie crust. Arrange pecans on top of filling in desired pattern. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set. Remove to cooling rack.

No comments: